Moving from one location to another is an exciting time in your life. When you’ve lived all your life in a small town, moving to a big city can open countless opportunities that can improve the quality of your life. If you’re going to move with your family, living in a bigger city can also mean better educational opportunities for them.
If you have plans of moving to Utah or any other state, it’s best to be prepared so that you can have a smooth transition and avoid any hassles in the future. There are various tips that can help you prepare for your big move, namely:
- Prepare The Necessary Supplies
When it comes to packing and moving, essential supplies must be prioritized. Buying these supplies ahead of time will ensure that all of your valuables are packed properly and these will arrive in good condition in your new home. Moving is already stressful, and finding out that your valuables have been disfigured or damaged during the move can only aggravate the stress.
For all of your valuables to be transported safely during the move, prepare these packing supplies ahead of time:
- Moving boxes: Moving boxes are one of the most important supplies when moving. There are many types of moving boxes available, and they are designed to be portable, easy to carry, lightweight, and durable. Of course, you’ll need reliable boxes to contain your valuables, especially the most priced ones. It’s important to note that you shouldn’t overload your boxes; otherwise, they may break apart. If you need to move quite a lot of stuff, then you’ll need to choose economical, bigger moving boxes. Never attempt to put too many items in one box as doing so can only damage your valuables.
- Packing tapes: When moving, it pays to have a good set of packing tapes. This will help keep the items in place as you move them from one place to another. This will also ensure that your boxes are properly sealed.
- Old newspapers or packing papers: It’s inevitable that you’ll be transporting fragile items when moving, and these will require a lot of effort in terms of packing. Unlike clothes and linens, delicate items, such as glassware, have to be packed differently. Aside from boxes and tapes, it’s also important to use old newspapers or packing papers when moving these things. These supplies are essential in protecting fragile items and filling empty spaces inside boxes to prevent them from moving around while in transit.
- Hire A Professional Moving Company
When you’re planning on moving across the country, there are some important things to consider when selecting a moving company. Contrary to popular belief, the job of the moving company is not only to deliver your valuables to your new home, but it also has a greater responsibility of making sure that everything that’s transported isn’t lost or damaged. By choosing an experienced moving company with the proper resources necessary for your big move, you will be guaranteed that your possessions will be protected all throughout the whole process.
Moving companies are quite in-demand, so expect to find several options in different parts of the globe today. If this is your first time to move, make sure to consider the following when choosing a professional moving company:
- Experience: One of the most important things to consider when choosing a moving company is to look at how much experience it has in handling the kind of move you’re about to make. There are certain types of movers that only work in particular states, and finding out how experienced your prospective company is in the state where you live is vital to your safety.
It’s also crucial to find out how long the company has been around because the number of years they have been in the industry can speak volumes about their legitimacy, as well as the quality of their services.
- License: There are many things to consider when choosing a moving company, but the most important one should be that they should be licensed and bonded. You don’t want to deal with shady contractors who may only make things worse for you and or damage your belongings while moving, right?
It’s important that you choose a company that has all of the necessary licenses to provide safe and quality moving services. Hiring a licensed moving company will give you peace of mind, knowing that you’re spending your hard-earned money on contractors who are qualified to provide moving services.
- Costs: Another thing that you’ll want to do when selecting a moving company is to take a look at the prices. There are companies out there that charge outrageous fees, but there are also companies that offer reasonable rates.
The best way to figure out which company you should opt for is to talk with friends or family members who have recently moved. Get a price quote from the various companies they will recommend to see which one offers the best deal. You should also inquire about their payment schemes. Are you expected to pay in full days before the move? Or, do you have to pay a down payment before the move, and then pay the balance after the move?
The last thing you want to do is to hire a moving company that charges more than the quality of their services. Moving is already expensive, which is why it’s best to hire a professional moving company that offers high-quality services at reasonable rates.
- Get Rid Of Items You Don’t Need
If you’ve been living in the same house for years, more often than not, you’ve invested in a lot of items to make your home more comfortable and functional. As a homeowner, you’ve likely spent a lot of money in buying pieces of furniture, appliances, and even clothes. The longer you’ve stayed in the house, the more items you most possibly own.
Most homeowners are fond of keeping damaged or unused items because of their price or sentimental value. But, although your items may be quite pricey, this doesn’t mean that you should bring all of them to your new home.
If you want your move to be fast and affordable, you should spend time to declutter your home and let go of items that are no longer useful. Regardless of how expensive your couch is, if you’re no longer using it, it’s best if you get rid of it before the move. Bringing damaged or unused items will only cost you more money and take up valuable floor space in your new home.
There are many ways you can get rid of items you no longer need. These are:
- Sell them: If you’ve been keeping items that are still in mint condition, but you no longer need, opt to sell them before your move. Aside from saving you time and money from packing and moving, selling items can also help you earn cash that you can use for your move. Depending on your preferences, you can sell your valuables by hosting a garage sale around your neighborhood or through an online platform. Any of these methods can help you attract buyers and earn money from your old valuables.
- Give them to organizations or charities: The maxim that states, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” still remains true up to this very day. When getting rid of items you don’t need in your new home, consider giving them to organizations or charities around your city. This is an easy way of getting rid of items that you no longer need, all while giving back to your community.
- Call professionals for help: For items that are already damaged or unrepairable, call your chosen professional rubbish removal company days before your moving date. They will remove rubbish from your property and ensure that these are disposed of in the safest way possible. Hiring a rubbish removal company can be a godsend, especially if you’re trying to get rid of bulky or hazardous items.
- Prepare An Inventory List
You’ll have to wear different hats at the same time when you decide to move. Aside from finding the best moving company that suits your needs and budget, you also have to properly pack your valuables, ensure that your new home is in tiptop condition before you move, and look after the entire family throughout the entire process. All these responsibilities can become more challenging if you’re going to move with children, pets, and seniors.
Preparing an inventory list will make it easier for you to move from one location to another. With an inventory list, you won’t have any problems determining which items you did bring and where these items are packed. An inventory list will also help you ward off stress as you can easily monitor where your valuables are.
To help you get started, follow these tips as you prepare an inventory list:
- Inventory each room in the house: Spend some time to visit different rooms in your house and list down all of the items placed inside each one of them. Start by listing major items, such as furniture and appliances, and then move to smaller items, such as tables, lamps, drawers, and shelves.
- Document important details: When creating an inventory list, you should also take note of the current condition and market value of your valuables. If applicable, don’t forget to list down the make, model, as well as the serial number.
- Take photos: Aside from listing down the names of the items you’re going to bring when moving, taking photos can also help with your inventory. Photographic evidence is an excellent way to prove the condition of your valuables before the move.
- Set A Budget
One of the most important things you should do when preparing to move into your new home is to set a budget. You have to make sure that you have enough financial resources to pay for everything during the move to ensure that you can start your brand new life on the right foot.
If you don’t have any experience in moving, consider asking help from friends and family members who recently moved so you’ll have an idea on what the ideal moving budget is. Get as much information as you can on what their expenses were when moving so you can properly prepare for yours.
If you’re going to be paying for movers, then you’ll want to make sure that you know what the moving fees are and if there are any other charges that you’ll have to pay before, during, and after your actual moving date. Make sure that you have all of this information before you begin moving into your new home so that you won’t end up incurring too many debts.
When setting a budget for the move, don’t forget to allocate at least 10% of the budget for emergencies. Regardless of how prepared you are, emergencies can still happen when you’re moving.
- Consider Emergencies
Another thing to keep in mind before transferring to a new place is to prepare for unexpected things, such as traffic, weather, and other things that might pop up. It’s important to plan for these things ahead of time to avoid stress and lower the chances of being inconvenienced throughout the process.
There’s no such thing as a perfect move because there will always be roadblocks along the way. But, knowing what to expect during the move will make it easier for you to manage stress and prepare solutions ahead of time. This will also help you to have more energy, as well as make the whole move go much smoother for you.
Preparation Is Key
Moving to another city or state can change your life, but this can also cause a lot of stress. Often, the farther your move is, the more stress you’ll experience.
Fortunately, you can make your move go smoothly by properly planning for it weeks or months before your actual moving date. If you’re going to move soon, follow all of the tips presented in this article so you’ll know how to start planning.