Garage doors are generally big and heavy. They can prove to be dangerous if someone gets caught by a closing door. So if you have installed a new garage door and have small kids in the house, make sure you be careful.
Whether you want a repair or replace your garage door, it is always better to call for professional help. This way you can avert any kind of mishaps from happening. Since they are professionals, they will handle it better than you. You can call for Capital Garage Door Ottawa.
Garage Door Safety For You And Your Family
Like we said, garage doors are heavy and huge. Many of the garage doors are operated using electric door openers as they are extremely heavy to be opened manually.
According to reports, garage accidents are common among children. If you don’t pay attention to your kid while closing or opening your garage door, anything can happen.
Garage door injuries can also occur from improper installation and lack of maintenance. You need to take care of your garage door to make sure that it is operating correctly. So if you want to prevent injuries and accidents from happening, you should pay attention to your garage door a bit more.
Garage Safety Maintenance Tips
Safety is meant for everyone. It’s not just the kids who have a risk of getting injured from a garage door. The adults are equally vulnerable.
To maintain garage door safety, there are a few important things you need to keep in mind. The details are:
- You should install your garage door properly and make sure that it is operating correctly.
- You should provide details instructions or warnings regarding the garage door, wherever it is needed.
- After installing a new garage door, you should take a moment to read the maintenance details.
- You should never walk in or out, under the moving garage door. You should also stop your kids and other family members from doing the same.
- You should not let your kids play with remote controls or the transmitter.
- To make things safer for your kids, you should explain to them what a garage door is and how they can be so dangerous to them. You should also teach them how to behave in front of an opening and closing garage door. Tell your kids to keep their fingers, hands, and feet away from the garage door.
Garage Door Maintenance To Prevent Tragedies
All it takes is a few minutes for you to check whether your garage door is in good condition or not. If it’s working smoothly and no problem is detected, you have fewer things to worry about. But in case, you feel that your garage door needs repair or replacement, you should get it done at the earliest. This is important for the safety of you and your family. With regular maintenance, you can prevent big bad things from happening.
You need to maintain both your garage door and garage door opener.
For your garage door, you should:
- Visual inspection
You should visually check your garage door, once in every month. From door springs to rollers to cables, you should check all the important parts of your garage door. You need to make sure that they are all in good condition and working properly.
- Door balance
You are also advised to check the balance of your door. This needs to be done with the door closed. If you can lift the door with little or no resistance, then it’s fine. If it doesn’t, then you know that some adjustment needs to be done.
You should also lubricate the moving parts of your garage door every month. This will allow them to operate smoothly.
For the garage door opener:
- Reversal test
You need to test the reversing feature of your garage door opener every month.
- At first, you need to check the balance of your garage door.
- Now place some paper towels and check whether your door reverses without touching the paper towels.
- If your door fails the paper towel test, then you need to call for professional help.
- Additional safety devices
You can make your garage door safer by using additional safety devices with it. For example, you can use an edge sensor. This is to enhance safety. The more safety devices you add, the better it is for you.
- Force setting test
Another important thing is the force setting test. You need to hold the bottom of your garage door to complete the force setting test. In case, your door doesn’t reverse readily, then you can rest assured that your garage door opener needs professional help.
Garage door safety should not be taken for granted. It can be dangerous if you do not take proper care of your garage door. With just little maintenance, you can keep accidents from happening.