6 Common Electrical Problems and How to Spot Them

Bedrooms: Bathrooms: House Size:
Acerage: Year built:

Electricity is an essential element in the home. We use it to power the house, television, kitchen usage, and air conditioning, among other activities. The wiring needs to be fixed properly to avoid electrical faults, which can be a hazard to the household. However, sometimes, you’ll come across electric challenges in the home. You need to take control of such occurrences to avoid further damage in the wiring system and keep your appliances safe. A quick and early fix may not be as costly. Below are the most common electrical problems.

1.    Blinking Lights

Flickering lights occasionally happen in our homes, and that’s one sign of an electrical problem. It’s among the most common issues that almost every household faces at one point in time. The problem comes up due to too much light usage, which affects the circuit. When you use many appliances at once, it overloads the circuit, causing the lights to flicker.

Establish the source of the overload and fix it before it escalates further, causing more damage. It would be best if you balanced the electric load by transferring the lights to various circuits to ease the burden. You may also need to install other electric lines specifically for the heavy appliances to reduce the pressure on the circuit and stop the flickering.

2.    Sparking

It’s easy to identify sparks in your home. Sparks are dangerous in the house, whether they occur occasionally or frequently. Sparkling occurs when plugging appliances, and it’s an indication that there is a fault with the wiring. You’ll have to deal with it immediately since a prolonged stay can cause the whole electric channel to blow off, causing more damages. Fixing this issue on your own could be risky, and you’ll need to get it inspected by an electrician who will find out the route cause and fix it to avoid further occurrences and damages.

3.    Extension Boards Overload

Overloaded extension boards can stop current flow, causing a shot in the wiring system. You can quickly spot an electrical issue with the extension board when you plug it in a socket. It’ll get sticky, and you may not be able to remove it. It’s a dangerous problem with the potential to cause a fire. To avoid such occurrences, limit the number of extensions. Keep watch of the signs and only use the extensions when you’re at home. You may also need to install more sockets around the house to ease the load on the existing outlets.

4.    Electric Shocks

Electric shocks are dangerous and can cause severe damages. If not controlled, it can spread over the entire wiring, causing shocks on sockets, extension boards, appliances, and every spot where there is an electric connection. You’ll experience the shock when you turn the devices on or off and especially if you have wet hands. To be sure that it’s an electric shock, try and plug in another device and see if you’ll experience shock. It could still be the same result even after using another appliance, which can be even riskier. The best solution is to call for an experienced electrician to fix the issue.

5.    Hot Outlets or Sockets

A hot socket is one of the quickest things to identify when changing devices or switching on and off the outlet. You can do a physical test by placing a hand on the sockets to establish the heat density. If the plug is too hot, it’s an indicator that a problem exists. The issue occurs when there is an overload on the socket and many plugged-in appliances or a faulty wiring system. It happens mostly in old houses.

6.    Frequent Buzzing Sounds

Mostly, there will be unusual noises coming out of the wiring channel when using appliances. The problem also occurs when you turn on the lights. It’s a sign that something is wrong with the wiring. It’s crucial to fix the wiring so that it doesn’t create sparks or damage and potential fires in the home. Once you spot a buzzing sound, contact an electrician to help you change the old outlet or fix the whole wiring.

Conclusion

It’s crucial to keep a close watch on any unusual activities with the electricity. Detecting the issues is the best solution to avoid further damage in the home, which could cost you more money for repairs or replacements.